Roberto Mancini loses temper over Monaco questions
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini knows only a win will do against Ajax on Tuesday night if there is any hope of making it beyond the Champions League group stage.
November 5th, 2012
However, the Italian was irked on Monday morning when a journalist returned to a theme of last week centring on Roberto Mancini holding talks with Monaco about becoming the French club’s manager before deciding to stay at the Etihad Stadium.
Mancini was in no mood to discuss the matter any further and said: “I don’t understand why you continue to ask me about last month, last year. It’s finished, so why? For which reason, why do you continue to ask me: ‘Last year you had another chance to go.’
“I stay here because my work is here. I worked for two years. I built with the chairman, with the owner, this team. We won three trophies in two years. For 50 years we didn’t win [the title, actually forty-four]. Never. Never.
“You should have respect for the people sometimes. I don’t understand why you have to ask me this, why? You ask me one question, I’m polite because I answered your question and the other questions. I’m polite because I answer: ‘It’s true’ [regarding Monaco].
“Every year I can have two or three new situations where I can go, I want to stay here because I work hard. I am not saying the future will be easy but when you have a new team the strong work is the first two years and we have won three trophies. I think you should have more respect for this, for me, for the club, for the players.”
Asked if expectations were too high on City, Mancini said: “We have the same team. We scored 36 goals by this stage last year and now we have scored 18. We have lost important players but we are still two points behind Manchester United after 10 games [in the Premier League].”