QPR manager rejects Chelsea guard of honour for Sunday derby

The Premier League are sometimes accused of not having their finger on the pulse when it comes to football matters and the latest example of this is their suggestion for the QPR players to form a guard of honour for their Chelsea counterparts ahead of Sunday’s west London derby.

QPR manager rejects Chelsea guard of honour for Sunday derby

Posted by

Andy

April 28th, 2012

Share on Google+

This is despite the fact that John Terry has been previously charged with making racist comments to Anton Ferdinand and the court case will go ahead directly after Euro 2012 has been played, something that looms large for the England defender.

Mark Hughes will return to one of his former clubs on Sunday hoping that the Hoops can catch Chelsea on the back foot after the latter’s Champions League exploits which saw them eliminate Barcelona on Tuesday. However, he was not at all impressed by the idea of the guard of honour.

He said: “They were looking for solutions for the game at the weekend and the Premier League were throwing things out there and said at one point that one alternative would be to form a guard of honour and clap Chelsea onto the pitch, and I’m thinking there is absolutely no chance of that happening.

“But that is where we were getting to, there were discussions going on, that was the one that pricked my ears up. That is the only one I was told, so there you go.”

The Premier League later denied the suggestion had been made, with their spokesman saying: “It was never under consideration. The board would never have suggested or agreed to it.”

Comments are closed

Find us on Google+