Marouane Fellaini apologises for headbutt against Stoke City
A three-match ban looks to be on the cards for Marouane Fellaini after the Belgian was guilty of a clear headbutt on Ryan Shawcross on Saturday afternoon.
December 16th, 2012
Although the incident wasn’t noted by the referee at the time, David Moyes pulled no punches when it came to condemning his player after the match and Fellaini has now apologised for the incident which will see the midfielder miss important matches for Everton.
“I apologise completely to Ryan Shawcross, my team-mates and to our fans at the game,” he said on the EFC official website.
Stoke and Everton played out a 1-1 draw at the Britannia Stadium which saw Shawcross score an own goal before Kenwyne Jones levelled the scoreline in the second half. Both goals had been scored when Fellaini saw the red mist and a three-match ban looks likely.
“We’ll take the punishment if it’s given for it,” the Everton manager said. “I’ve told him in the dressing room it’s not acceptable and I won’t accept it as a manager that he does that. He’s a really good player and the big disappointment if anything does happen is that he’s a really big part of the team. He’s let the team down. If the referee had seen it he should have been sent off.”
Fellaini’s full apology on the Everton website read: “I apologise completely to Ryan Shawcross, my team-mates and to our fans at the game. There was a lot of pushing and pulling going on inside the Stoke penalty area and I didn’t feel I was getting any protection from the officials. Nevertheless I know I shouldn’t have done what I did. I have also apologised to the manager and the staff. I have no excuses, I was disappointed with the way I was being treated and I lost my temper, which was unprofessional of me.”