Manchester United fans abuse Sir Alex Ferguson following 3-0 derby defeat

Supporters angry with the appointment of David Moyes and make their feelings known to the former manager

Manchester United fans abuse Sir Alex Ferguson following 3-0 derby defeat

Posted by


March 26th, 2014

Share on Google+

Manchester United’s season has been a series of setbacks and the latest of these came on Tuesday night when Manchester City waltzed to a 3-0 victory at Old Trafford, with Edin Dzeko scoring at the start of the first half and second half before Yaya Toure added the icing on the cake.

While the fans have been patient with David Moyes until recently, it appears that they are now prepared to revolt against the United manager, with Sir Alex Ferguson being verbally abused by a small minority of fans following Tuesday’s embarrassing performance.

The Guardian are among the papers reporting that supporters vented their anger towards Ferguson at the end of the derby defeat, questioning the decision to appoint Moyes as his replacement.

Manchester United have now lost six home games at Old Trafford in the Premier League this season, the first time it has happened since the 2001-2 season and it leaves the champions 18 points behind leaders Chelsea and the prospect of qualifying for the Champions League does not exist anymore.

Moyes retained his dignity after the match and took responsibility for the defeat, although it will be galling to see the way that Everton are challenging for a top four spot under Roberto Martinez since he left.

The United manager said said: “I take responsibility. I have to be the one who plays them, picks them and that is what it is. I think there are a lot of really good players there, some can play better, but there are a lot of really good players in the squad, a lot of international players and players who I think on their day can be a match for most players.

“We never gave ourselves a great opportunity to get into the game. Manchester City started really fast and conceding a goal after 30-40 seconds made it difficult. We had to try and make sure we got through that 10-15 minute period. After that we weathered it and got ourselves back into the game and finished the half quite strong. The key to it was not to concede a second goal so we could always give ourselves a chance [to get] back in there.

“I didn’t think we started the second half well. We brought pressure on us by our play and in the end we conceded a corner just before that and there was another one and then that led to the second goal. It was obviously poor marking and we should have done much better.

“I just think we never came out of the blocks. You prepare the players, you warm them up, you do all the things to have them ready but we just never started. It gave them a real big lift to get a goal so early on.”

Comments are closed

Find us on Google+