Malky Mackay surprised to still be Cardiff City manager

Cardiff face Southampton on Boxing Day and it appears as though Malky Mackay will take charge of the Bluebirds despite rumours that owner Vincent Tan was going to sack the Scot last weekend.

Malky Mackay surprised to still be Cardiff City manager

Posted by

Andy

December 23rd, 2013

Share on Google+

It had been reported that Mackay had received an email from Tan a week ago asking for the manager to step down from his position and outlining a list of grievances which included overspending in the summer transfer market.

However, Mackay took charge of the team at Anfield on Saturday and saw his team produce a superb second-half performance, with the 41-year-old admitting he expected to have received his marching orders by now.

Mackay said: “I did feel I was going to lose my job on the weekend.

“The email deeply upset me.

“I declined to resign and expected to be sacked over the weekend.

“To give the fans a clap (at Anfield on Saturday) was something I wanted to do for the support they had given me.”

It appears that Tan has given Mackay a stay of execution despite stating that “not a single penny” is available to spend in January, while it also appears that up to four people have been contacted about the prospect of managing Cardiff.

The supporters are unanimously behind a man that steered the team into the Premier League after winning last season’s Championship, although Mackay and Tan have not held any type of conciliatory talks despite the former requesting them.

“I wanted that meeting to be today but that was declined. If not today, then tomorrow but that was also declined,” he said.

He added: “I don’t know if we can talk. Mehmet (Dalman) has been trying to do this for three months, as have I.

“There are certain areas that have to be addressed that were in the email. I will find out when I go to the meeting.

“At that point I will take stock of where I am.”

Comments are closed

Find us on Google+