Arsenal FC manager briefs players for battle with Diego Costa
Arsene Wenger knows his defenders must be prepared to fight with Diego Costa
January 22nd, 2016
Arsenal haven’t lost too many Premier League matches this season, although they went down 2-0 at Stamford Bridge earlier in the campaign, with Gabriel Paulista being controversially sent off after a running battle with Diego Costa.
The Spanish international will once again be leading the Chelsea line on Sunday, with Costa a particularly spiky opponent and Arsene Wenger is well aware of the threat posed by the Blues forward.
“We have to focus on our own performance and forget a little bit about Diego Costa,” Wenger said. “But we have to be prepared for a battle because Costa gives you a fight. After that, it’s down to the referee.
“The good news is that Özil certainly will be available and, for Sánchez, the next two days will be decisive though, this time, I think he will make it for selection,” Wenger said. “Coquelin is also back in full training, ahead of schedule, and Welbeck will be in full training next week. So those are positive news.”
The return of these players could help Arsenal to a first Premier League title success in twelve years, with Olivier Giroud feeling that Manchester United and Tottenham are among the title threats.
“The race is very tight because Leicester City and Manchester City will be fighting as well,” he told Arsenal’s website. “We have a bit of an advantage over Manchester United and Tottenham at the moment but they could come back if you lose two games, you never know.
“I just take the games step by step, game by game, like the team. We needed to bounce back after the Southampton defeat and now we are on a really good run.”